Wednesday, November 08, 2006

National Lampoon Favorite Cartoons of the 21st Century

This is the window of Coliseum Books on 42nd Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. I'm posting this to show that the National Lampoon cartoon book is out (second row, 4th from the left; between the 1,000 COVERS OF THE ROLLING STONE book and Bob Newhart's autobio).

I wrote about the book, and why I'm not in it on August 4th here. Since then, I've talked to a couple of other pro cartoonists who also declined to participate due to the conditions of the contract.

Regardless, congratulations to my friends and colleagues whose work appears in the book. And, all of you, deserve better than the terms you got.

2 comments:

Royston Robertson said...

Thanks for that Mike, it's good to know that the book is out there.

I thought that what you wrote in your original post was very fair and well put. I certainly thought twice about getting involved when I saw the contract but in the end I decided to go for it as it was my first sale to the United States, and National Lampoon is a good name to have on the CV. I admit it, I went for the exposure! The fact that they printed web addresses was a plus. And I've had a few enquiries about my work from the US since, which is good.

But I can certainly understand why you, as an established US cartoonist, declined. It's a shame that it wasn't a better deal as I would have liked to have seen your stuff in there.

Mark Anderson said...

I wish I could say I was smart enough to have stayed out of this debacle, but truth be told I kinda missed it when they were looking for cartoons. I think I'm glad I had my blinders on...