Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dangerous Graphics


Just bought a Sears Craftsman snowblower with the above warning sticker on it.

I can only imagine the dialogue across the Sears conference table:

"We have to show how dangerous machine can be. Should we show a limb in the process of being severed? What about blood?"

No blood in the final version, but I bet, over coffee and a nice spread, those corporate intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded the visual depiction of the moment of limb mutilation in a series of serious, humorless meetings.

Heck, maybe there was a motion (made by a junior exec., I bet) to require a certain proficiency of customer IQ test results before allowing someone to buy a snowblower. But, well, this is America, and stupid people got money and Sears needs money, gang!


It's the jagged edge on the wrist that simultaneously horrified and startled me.

4 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

The blades are red though, and I'm betting they weren't just a moment ago... MOO-HA-HA!!!

Jack Ruttan said...

Those stick figures can never catch a break.

Unknown said...

It makes me wonder why there are not similar graphics on lawn mowers.

Unknown said...

It makes me wonder why a similar graphic does not appear on lawn mowers. ...or cars, for that matter.