Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Unseen Kurt Werth Drawings

Illustrator Kurt Werth (1896-1983), whose work I blogged about before, was known for his children's books. I liked his drawings a lot, and hoped that I would find more. I didn't have to go out and find more drawings; more drawings found me.

I received this email from Randy W.:

Mike: i found your posting about Kurt Werth cartoons while looking for information on him. I have a friend that has a few small personal "caricature" drawings by Kurt done on personal letters to a friend from the early 1980s. I have been asked to look into them to see if they have any value to collectors.
So, here they are. If you are interested, and can give some advice, please send Randy an email to rjwensman [at] qwest.net.



I can only guess at who the stylish woman is, but she appears in most of these drawings which look like pen and ink and watercolor.


Heaven knows why it says "Lousy!" Looks OK to me. Look at that pose and the smile. If that's a pair of scissors next to the drawing, then this is a rather small drawing -- all the more impressive for its skill.


Unfortunately, some of the text at the bottom is cut out of this photo.


A lovely portrait. "To Ann," it's dedicated, and signed "Werth 1980," when he would have been 84 years old.


Just reiterating: Randy is looking for anyone who can guide him as to what to do with these.


And there you have it. I love casual, personal sketches -- but these are practically finishes. If I owned them, I could not part with them!

No comments: