Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mike Lynch Cartoon in March 2009 Reader's Digest


Like everyone, I've had bad jobs and crummy bosses.

On payday at one of my restaurant jobs, employees ran to the bank as soon as they were handed their paycheck. I mean this literally: they were sprinting. The company never had enough cash to cover payroll, so the sooner you deposit, the less likely your paycheck bounced.

I used to have a wisecracking boss. When asked, "May I have a raise?" the boss would smile and reply, "Well, you can always ask! Ha ha ha ha." He was not a well loved man.

I have a cartoon in the print edition of Reader's Digest and it's also on their Web page today. One of their 10 recession cartoons.


When the call went out just a couple of weeks ago for these cartoons, I really didn't think the above cartoon would appeal. It's rather mean. But, it's also truthful.

Bad jobs, crummy bosses -- when it's all said and done, my friends, I would rather work for a solvent company, ya know what I mean?

Now please excuse me while I call up some clients about some outstanding cartoon invoices. I hope their phone numbers are still working ....

6 comments:

The Cartoonist said...

Congrats, Mike! And the cartoon is great.

Anonymous said...

Good cartoon, Mike. I think your cartoon hits the mark as it's probably exactly what a boss would be thinking.
I went the the dumb route in that issue with my Superman cartoon.
Dan

Anonymous said...

haha... That's great! —and something we can all relate to! Thanks for the chuckle! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon Mike, it really reflects the current situation our economy is going through.

Mark Anderson said...

I wonder if companies that make solvents are doing OK...

(Great toon BTW!)

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for the kind words. Dan, I liked that Superman cartoon.