Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Two Roystons Who Are Cartoonists


"I presume you know the story of the commercial traveller and the farmer's daughter.
Well I'm the farmer's daughter ...."


Above: a gag cartoon by "Royston" from the 1941 annual of Man Magazine (Australia).

Did you know that there are two cartoonists named Royston? Contemporary UK cartoonist Royston Robertson was just alerted that there was a cartoonist who also signed his gag cartoons "Royston." This Royston cartoonist's work appeared in Australian magazines of the 1940s.

"If you know anything about this Royston (the name is more common as a surname, so that may be the case here) let me know in the comments section below, or send me an email."
Please check out Royston Robertson's blog here.

Above: Royston compares signatures.

3 comments:

Royston Robertson said...

Thanks for the post, Mike. I'll let you know if I manage to turn up anything on the other Royston!

arcticcircle said...

Those signatures are freakily similar.

Royston Robertson said...

Hi Mike, I've found out a lot more now ... Royston was a woman! http://is.gd/3CSs5