Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Best Comic Strip: Brooke McEldowney’s 9 Chickweed Lane

I may have gotten as giddy as Bob Harvey. And then I got ashamed.

It was really fun to read his glowing review of Brooke McEldowney's 9 CHICKWEED LANE newspaper comic strip. The opening paragraph:

"I should be prudent and say that Brooke McEldowney’s 9 Chickweed Lane is one of the best comic strips now appearing in the nation’s newspaper funnies. But I have ever been foolhardy in such matters rather than prudent, so I say: 9 Chickweed Lane is THE best comic strip now appearing in the nation’s newspapers."

And it reminded me that, shamefully, I'm not up on my comic strips. There is no excuse, since I can go back as far as the November 6, 2000 strip and read every single succeeding 9 CHICKWEED LANE installment (daily and Sunday) until I'm up to date. No wonder the Comics.com site is called the "free online comic strip library." I better make the time to get caught up. After all, he's a neighbor and all -- lives just over the border in Maine. And, R.C. Harvey is right: the "storytelling daring of cartoonist McEldowney" is right there. Just go look.

Related: In addition to the excellent 9 CHICKWEED LANE, Brooke creates an ongoing Web comic "Pibgorn."

Hat tip to Journalista!

No comments: