Friday, August 20, 2010

YOU'VE GOT ME – AND HOW! Part One


Here is part one of a selection of gag cartoons titled YOU'VE GOT ME – AND HOW! , edited by Lawrence Lariar and published by Dodd, Mead & Company. It's copyright 1955 by Mr. Lariar.


Virgil VIP Partch with the casual pain associated with marriage.



Some of these, like Currier's above, are simple sitcom put-downs. Mean and none too clever.


I saw Harrison's gag coming ...


Bo Brown with some excellent wavy linework.


From active to passive. Martin Giuffre reminds us that there was a time when people went out into the world, to their club, dressed in silly attire. Now we all stay in and watch a rerun of Jackie Gleason doing the above.


I like Kaufman's gags a lot.


George Wolfe with the clueless woman driver.



Tom Zib concedes marriage is a battlefield.




Pete Wyma, known for his girly cartoons, contributes a rather stale mother-in-law joke.



I like Henry Boltinoff's explanation here -- but it's still no way to treat a lady.

I like the moment that Clyde Lamb chose to depict: the moment just after the violent ripping of the paper from hubby's hands.


Bernhardt has a long gag line with a sweet putdown at the end that makes sense of the bitter marriage conceit that is the book's hallmark.


Cartoons signed "Corka" were the husband and wife team of John Cornin & Zena Kavin. More here.


Dam McCormick's cartoon did make me laugh.


I like that Burr Shafer chose to let the reader imagine the struggle between husband and wife.

Here are links to all of YOU'VE GOT ME – AND HOW!

2 comments:

Shep said...

Pete Wyma, he used to have a lot of stuff in Sex to Sexty magazines, remember them?

Gabriel said...

Hey Mike!
Just dropping by to thank you you're sharing all this funny-as-hell stuff.
It's the first time I see-read a Burr Shafer cartoon and I loved it: gag and art!
I wish I could see more by him anywhere. I'll have to inquire into--