Friday, February 18, 2011

Shop Talk by Mike Lynch



Occasionally some person asks me what hobbies I have. I don't have hobbies. No model ship building or stamp collecting. My world is cartoons and cartoonists. I love to talk shop, and I was able to do just that this week with a group of great cartoonists. Here are some of the comments that I overheard from these cartoonists.



I agree with the above (unnamed) cartoonist. Fortunately, I am not in love with a certain pen or paper or ink. I know that as soon as I do fall in love, it'll be discontinued.



I drew these in my sketchbook on an Amtrak train, so the lettering is a little bouncy.



Explaining Photoshop to someone who hasn't used it is an exercise in futility -- at least when I am being asked to clarify what it can do. The conversation becomes incoherent as I realize that technology does seem like magic to a lot of us -- and I think of Arthur's line in MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL: "This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedemir. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."



Above: the original, ink on paper with watercolor added after I got home.

8 comments:

Linette Moore said...

These are delightful, Mike. I like your slice-of-life stuff. And nice washes.

Mike Lynch said...

I confess that my cat chewed my brush up and broke it, separating the brush part from the holder. Even so, I used it this morning, holding the small bit of brush with my fingers -- and, darn it if it doesn't work better now!

David Jacobson said...

Fabulous, Mike.
Your "As Mike Sees It." sketches are my favorite.

Fritz said...

Love the drawings Mike. What a fun thing to share.

Mark Anderson said...

These are so great Mikey! I love when you post stuff like this!

Benita said...

I love these, Mike. You must have a great memory for the conversations.

Ted Goff said...

This is why we need more trains! Great sketches, Mike!

DON CRESCI CARTOONS said...

Mike, Great stuf. You,re the first
thing I go to in the mornin