Tuesday, October 11, 2011

50 Years Ago: First FLINTSTONES Comic Strip



THE FLINTSTONES had been on the air for a year before a strip was commissioned. Gene Hazelton drew it, and he was assisted at one time or another by Roger Armstrong, Dale Hale, Harvey Eisenberg and Jesse Marsh. The first daily appeared over 50 years ago, on October 2, 1961.

Gary Brown writes The Monday After: Meet the Flintsones for CantonRep.com:
The new comic was published at the bottom of the local news section its first day. But then it settled in at the top of the right-hand column on the comics page.

It’s initial offering was indeed an introduction.

“I’m Fred Flintstone and this is my wife, Wilma,” said Fred. “And this is Dino, our pet dinosaur!” Wilma adds in the first panel.

The rest of the strip allowed Barney and Betty to identify themselves. Then, Fred excitedly told readers that the cartoon character who had been taking down the information was not a census taker.

“He’s the cartoonist who’s drawing up our new comic strip!” Fred said. “The Flintstones!”

And thus a daily ritual for newspaper comic readers started.

2 comments:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Too bad they do not mention that I have these strip and many of the subsequent ones from the first year on my blog. Especially since it is my scan they are using. I tried logging on to leave a comment, but I can't from abroad. Who will do this for me and direct them to www.allthingsger.blogspot.com?

Mike Lynch said...

Ugh. I hate when that happens. I just bought a magazine that used a photo from my blog without permission or acknowledgement.

There isn't a comments section, but the writer Gary Brown can be reached at (330) 580-8303 or gary.brown@cantonrep.com according to the contact page.