Thursday, November 08, 2012

How Bruce Eric Kaplan (“BEK”) Crafts A New Yorker Cartoon


Bruce Eric Kaplan draws cartoons for the New Yorker when he's not writing for television (SEINFELD, SIX FEET UNDER). He talks to Fast Company's Ari Karpel about his cartoon-writing process and how persistence pays off in the article titled How “BEK” Crafts A New Yorker Cartoon.

"The struggling writer sent 10 to 15 cartoons every week. 'I was in my twenties, and I was crazy. I was just so sure that they were going to buy it that I just kept doing it. I never missed a week.' At first, his cover letters were polite and professional, but after a few years they degenerated. 'I would write crazy, crazy cover letters. I started out I was like, 'Here are 10 cartoons.' Then at the end I was just like, 'Here are 10 cartoons any other fucking magazine in the fucking world will buy except for you assholes.'"


No comments: