Friday, September 13, 2013

Jerry Dumas: The Bully, the Victim and the Onlooker



Veteran cartoonist Jerry Dumas has a column in one the local CT papers. Maybe you know that, maybe you don't. This week he talks about bullying -- and his memories of his no-nonsense principal at Carstens Elementary School in Detroit. Jerry is was raised there.

Anyway, the speech she gave to a school bully back in the day is such a good read. I wonder if she would have kept her job in this day and age. Here is the speech -- but also read Jerry's column to read it in context:

"If I ever see anything like this again, you will be gone from this school. I don't mean for today or tomorrow or for this week, I mean forever. Your mother and father will have to figure out what they're going to do with you around the house all day. Incidentally, I'm calling them tonight. Remember, we'll be watching you. Both inside here, and outside on the playgrounds. And don't try to say I'm sorry. Apologies don't work with me. What I'm looking for is you being a nice guy."

The whole story is here.

No comments: