Monday, September 16, 2013

Sandra Boynton: Talking to the Animals, and Drawing Them Too



Sandra Boynton is profiled in the New York Times in an article titled Talking to the Animals, and Drawing Them Too by Edward Lewine.

The above photo, by Wendy Carlson for The Times, is of Ms. Boynton's Connecticut studio. She is not neat, she admits. The studio's organization is "quixotic," which is a lovely turn of phrase to describe it. She has produced fifty children's books, 4,000 greeting cards and then there are many songs and CDs.


"I normally come to the office around 8:30 a.m., and aside from taking a long walk or yoga and eating, I will be at work until midnight or 1 a.m. I work all the time because I really love what I do, as trite as that sounds."



A one-of-a-kind pig phone that "really works." Photo by Wendy Carlson for The Times.

"When I was a kid and there were pink phones around, I always felt that there should be pigs on them, since the cord always looked like a tail. Five years ago, I stumbled on one of these old pink phones and had a craftsman I know carve a pig for it. It’s one of a kind, and the phone works."

No comments: