Wednesday, September 18, 2013

THE NEBBISHES by Herb Gardner


Allan Holtz' Stripper's Guide looks at the life of Herb Gardner and his short-lived comic strip (2 years) titled THE NEBBISHES.

Gardner is best known for his plays. "A Thousand Clowns" and "I'm Not Rappaport," but, starting out in life, he was a prodigy. A child actor, a prize winning sculptor, TV writer -- all of this by the time he was twenty.

Somewhere in that time, he created a little character he called "The Nebbish." This is his most popular cartoon of the time:



Go see more at Stripper's Guide. 

3 comments:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

And if you like those, you can find my collection here:
http://www.allthingsger.blogspot.nl/search/label/The%20Nebbishes

Unknown said...

Over 60 years ago I purchased stickers put out by Bernad Creations, Yonkers, NY. I still have several and they still make me laugh. Wonderful little characters. Thanks you Herb Gardner.

Unknown said...

I was packing up belongings found in a shoebox for a move to a new home and came across a rubber Nebbish toy stamped with Herb's name and the date 1957. Now that I'm all grown up, it will proudly sit atop my drafting table as a reminder of Herb Gardner's genius!