Wednesday, June 17, 2015

May 23, 1964 SATURDAY EVENING POST Cartoons



I went to an antique store in Kittery, Maine, where next to the register was a 16" x 20" framed cartoon on the wall. It was a wordless cartoon depicting a middle-aged housewife running down a grocery store aisle. (If I remember  it properly, curlers in her hair were flying out , she was running so swiftly.) Her pursuer: a middle-aged clerk, closely behind her, madly waving a price gun and yelling at her. There was no gag line. I liked the cartoon and said it sure looked like George Price drew it. The woman behind the register, who had been silent until now, brightened up. My guess: it was a promotional print. His name had been scrubbed from the illustration, which is typical of any work done for advertising back then. I was thinking the piece was from the 1970s "Whip Inflation Now" period. I gave her my business card and asked her to send on a photo so I could post it. Sorry to say I am still waiting.

The nice thing is that I bought a couple SATURDAY EVENING POSTs for cheap.

While we wait, let's look at one of the POSTs, okay? Let's bypass the articles by John Updike and S.J Perelman and go right to the cartoons from the May 23, 1964 issue of the SATURDAY EVENING POST:

Below: the header for the cartoon section by Henry Syverson:



And here's John Gallagher with one of his typically outlandish gags:





Below: A terrific gag by the prolific Bill Hoest that works maybe even better in this post 9/11 world, huh?





Below: Brian Savage nails how things work back in 1964 ... and, sadly, today:


Below is a cartoon by Martha Blanchard whose work appeared in all the major publications of the day.


H. Margules is the cartoonist's name below and that's all the information I have, sorry to say:



Charles O'Glass also had a dozen cartoons in The New Yorker, but that's all I know about him:



Below: Donald Reilly's cartoon made me think of the 99% movement"



Below: Dick Oldden's cartoon is great, isn't it? It would be just as fresh if it was published today.



The wonderful Donald Reilly with a twofer this issue:






Henry Boltinoff:



And, of course, Ted Key:




More POST cartoons here:


June 30-July 7, 1962 SATURDAY EVENING POST 

July 14-July 21, 1962 SATURDAY EVENING POST

-- This was an edited version of a blog that originally appeared December 2, 2011.

No comments: