Dick has scanned in the "How I Create Humor" section from a number of issues. The regular feature was written by and for gag cartoonists. This is part two. Part one is here.
THE INFORMATION GUIDE
HOW I CREATE HUMOR (1955--1964)
Here are more pages from The Information Guide, the trade journal for cartoonists published George Hartman in the late 1950’s and 1960’s.
True to its name, each issue of The Information Guide provided valuable information for cartoonists, new market listings, tips on dealing with editors as well as providing a forum where issues confronting the working cartoonist were raised. George also always had plenty of money making ideas and lots of encouragement for everyone.
Then, as now, everyone needed help with gag writing. “Gawge” encouraged his subscribers to contribute their thoughts on the subject and the result was How I Create Humor.
Some of the George’s better-known supporters were Bob Zahn, Cliff Johnson, Mel Millar, Larry Barth, Lowell Hoppes, Carl Kohler, Marvin Townsend, and Howard Paris.
My checkered career in humor got a big boost thanks to George, as did many.
1. GLUECK. Bob Glueckstein, a minor market whiz, was one of those capable knocking out a
batch of 10 to 15 cartoons in a couple hours for an obscure trade journal and sell most of them.
2. JACK FLYNN. His cartoons appeared in many magazines, best known for his “adult” work in the many Humorama and similar cartoon/pinup publications of the day.
3. HAL MONEY. No information, but he was a Information Guide regular.
4. LOWELL HOPPES. A veteran cartoonist whose work appeared in major magazines ranging from The Saturday Evening Post Parade, Highlights for Children as well as the Humorama line.
5. CARL KOHLER. Carl Kohler was a West Coast cartoonist, who also published Cartoonyfeller’s Digest, another trade journal for cartoonists and gag writers in the mid 1950’s. Later, Kohler and Pete Miller founded the very successful CARtoons magazine in 1959.
More of Dick Buchanan's great gag cartoon collection:
From the Dick Buchanan Files: "How I Create Humor" from 1950s - 60s Gag Cartoon Insider Journal "The Information Guide"
Dick Buchanan's Cartoon File: 1945 - 1962
Dick Buchanan's Cartoon File: 1950s Color Magazine Gag Cartoons
Dick Buchanan's Cartoon File: Funny Vintage Magazine Gag Cartoons 1946 - 1963
Dick Buchanan's Cartoon File: Wordless Gag Cartoons 1944-1964
1953 George Booth Drawings for American Legion Magazine
Dick Buchanan: Winter/Christmas/Holiday Gag Cartoons 1940s-60s
Dick Buchanan: Some PUNCH Magazine Cartoons 1948-1963
Dick Buchanan: Gag Cartoon Clip File 1946-64
Dick Buchanan: Gag Cartoon Clip File 1947-62
Dick Buchanan: Some Favorite Magazine Gag Cartoons 1940-60s
Dick Buchanan: Gag Cartoon Clip File 1931-64